Great State: Green Chile Kitchen | News
YUKON, OKLAHOMA — Hungry diners who order food don’t usually think about the origins of recipes or where the ingredients come from.
That includes the newest Green Chili Kitchen on Route 66 in Yukon.
But there is a little bit of Trevor Logan’s travels sprinkled in every item on this menu.
Restaurant founder Logan says, “I just like the idea that I started out here and then moved to Santa Fe.”
Growing up he and his younger sister Tara came to this building when it was called the Chateau.
“It was what a lot of people referred as the fanciest place in town,” says Logan. “Right,” says Tara. “They had big, iron gates back in the 60′s.”
The Logans’ grandmother was great at making pies.
Trevor took a few tins and recipes along with him to college in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
While there, he says, “We all used to get together and have these nights where we would eat green chile.”
Dish up a little West Coast style where Trevor’s restaurant took off.
His recipes for green chile apple pie and other Southwestern fare made him a ‘foodie’ success. “
Describing his biggest break, Trevor says, “I think what happened was that the New York Times picked up on our apple pie recipe.”
Trevor and his family had discussed an idea for a couple of years. ‘Wouldn’t in be great’, they thought, ‘to open a place back home?’
A few months ago Tara quit her principal job with Yukon Public Schools.
The newest Green Chile Kitchen opened for supper where the old Chateau used to be, and folks lined up.
“People have been so supportive,” says Trevor. “I hate to say this but it’s just the beginning,” he continues, smiling at his sister.
So far so good. With Grandma’s pie recipes infused with a little Santa Fe spice and West Coast flair, the Logan’s newest kitchen extended their hours to include lunch a couple of weeks ago.
Trevor Logan ended up coming full circle and, so far, it tastes pretty good.
The new Green Chile Kitchen joins two other restaurants, both in San Francisco. It’s located at 12 East Main St. in Yukon.
Check out their website at http://www.greenchilekitchen.com
Upcoming Events near Yukon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Allergy Alert: Cedar pollen very high, sufferers should just stay indoors
- Oklahoma Rep. authors bill warning of dangers of tongue piercing
- Put aside winter blues, temps soaring to the upper 70′s tomorrow, but fire danger high
- Cholesterol lowering drug being recalled for second time in two years
- Tornado, severe weather safety tips for drivers
- FIRES: Wildfires are sparking across the metro, crews stressing caution during high fire danger
- Temperatures below -200 degrees freezing pain away, boosting energy in new technique
- UPDATE: Crews find body investigating carbon monoxide leak at home in northwest Oklahoma City
- Judge denies stay of execution for inmates questioning lethal injection drug
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business